Burger and Barley Soup
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Progresso ® Beef Broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and water. Add celery and carrots.
- Place peppercorns on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to beef mixture. Stir in thyme and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Return to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes. Discard spice bag. Yield: 8 servings.