- 1 6-ounce package frozen, cooked crab meat or one 6-ounce can crab meat, drained and cartilage removed
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard or Creole mustard
- 2 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Lemon wedges
- Tartar sauce (optional)
- Thaw crab, if frozen; drain. In a mixing bowl combine egg, green onion, mayonnaise, parsley, mustard, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs. Stir in crab; mix well. Shape into four patties about 3/4 inch thick.
- Combine the remaining bread crumbs and cornmeal. Coat patties with cornmeal mixture. In a large skillet heat oil. Add crab cakes. Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes on each side or until golden and heated through. Add additional oil, if necessary. Serve crab cakes hot with lemon wedges and, if desired, tartar sauce. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare and shape crab cakes. Cover and chill up to 8 hours before cooking.