Old Fashioned Stuffing Recipe
Original Recipe Yield 12 cups Ingredients
- 30 slices white bread, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Allow the toasted bread to sit approximately 24 hours, until hard.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Crush the bread into crumbs with a rolling pin. Place the crumbs in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and celery and slowly cook until soft. Remove from heat and drain.
- Mix the eggs and chicken broth into the bread crumbs. The mixture should be moist, but not mushy. Use water, if necessary, to attain desired consistency. Mix in the onion, celery, rubbed sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Press the mixture into the baking dish. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the top is brown and crisp.