Sausage, Spinach, Ricotta Stuffed Pasta Shells Recipe
- 1 12-ounce package jumbo pasta shells
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 16-ounces of light ricotta cheese
- 16-ounces of light cottage cheese
- 1 lb of mazzarella cheese
- (2) 10-ounces chopped frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, chopped further (or 10 ounces chopped fresh spinach)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Oregano, chives, salad seasoning, parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- (2) jars of Tom and Sherry's Pasta Sauce
- Dutch Oven
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (1 teaspoon salt per quart of water). Cook the pasta shells according to the instructions on the package. Drain, rinse in cold water, and set aside.
3 Beat the egg lightly in a large bowl. Mix in the ricotta, chopped spinach, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, basil, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and sausage mixture. Fill each cooked pasta shell with some of the ricotta, spinach, sausage mixture.
4 Spread 1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes over the bottom of each of the baking dishes. Arrange the stuffed pasta shells in the dishes. Spread the remaining tomatoes over the top of the pasta shells.
At this point you can make ahead, to freeze (up to four months) or refrigerate before cooking. (If freezing, cover with foil, then wrap with plastic wrap.)
5 Heat oven to 375°F. Cover the pans with foil and bake for 30 minutes, until hot and bubbling. Remove foil and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese, bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
Serves Tom and Sherry and their '10 kids' :)).